[GRASS-user] gdal 1.5 and WMS ressource --- PREVIOUSLY:How to best access hundreds of orthophotos -- mapserver as WMS server?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Jan 2 16:42:36 EST 2008

On 02/01/08 21:37, sebastian sauer wrote:
> Wed 02 Jan 2008 18:27, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> you wrote in the a previous thread that one can use gdal 1.5 directly to
>> access a WMS ressource which is defined in an xml file (see snippet below).
>> As 1.5 is out (and I compiled with MrSid support - works nicely by the
>> way), I looked but could find no information on that feature. Could you
>> please elaborate how I can use this instead of setting up a mapserver on
>> localhost?
> my understanding was - feel free to correct me - dylan was refering to
> the OGR/GDAL vrt driver.
>
> http://www.gdal.org/gdal_vrttut.html
> http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_vrt.html

I would rather guess it was the "WMS -- Web Map Services" driver:

http://www.gdal.org/frmt_wms.html

The page explains that you have to create an xml file such as this:

<GDAL_WMS>
     <Service name="WMS">
         <Version>1.1.1</Version>
         <ServerUrl>http://onearth.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi?</ServerUrl>
         <SRS>EPSG:4326</SRS>
         <ImageFormat>image/jpeg</ImageFormat>
         <Layers>modis,global_mosaic</Layers>
         <Styles></Styles>
     </Service>
     <DataWindow>
         <UpperLeftX>-180.0</UpperLeftX>
         <UpperLeftY>90.0</UpperLeftY>
         <LowerRightX>180.0</LowerRightX>
         <LowerRightY>-90.0</LowerRightY>
         <SizeX>2666666</SizeX>
         <SizeY>1333333</SizeY>
     </DataWindow>
     <Projection>EPSG:4326</Projection>
     <BandsCount>3</BandsCount>
</GDAL_WMS>

I guess (but have never tried) that this would lead to an r.in.gdal line
such as:

r.in.gdal in=YourFile.xml out=GRASSLayerName

Moritz