[GRASS-user] Line split by elevation

Damiano G. Preatoni prea at uninsubria.it
Fri Jan 4 07:03:17 EST 2008

Hi GRASSers,
  I have a line vector representing survey transects, and I need to split it
into segments based on elevation (say, 100 m height difference). After
scavenging the list archives and some googling I'm trying to do like that

generate contours from a DEM (r.contour)
generate a 10 m buffer along each transect line (v.buffer)
clip contours with the buffer (v.overlay)
merge transects with clipped contours (v.patch)
get intersections (v.clean tool=break err=intersections)
put intersections into ASCII format (v.out ascii intersections)
pipe intersections to v.segment

Anyway, it seems quite a long way... maybe I'm wrong!

Anyone has hints/suggestions?

--
Any circuit design must contain at least one part which is obsolete, two parts
which are unobtainable, and three parts which are still under development.

Unità di Analisi e Gestione delle Risorse Ambientali
Dipartimento Ambiente-Salute-Sicurezza
Università degli Studi dell'Insubria
Via J.H. Dunant, 3 - 21100 Varese (ITALY)

tel +39 0332421538
fax +39 0332421446

http://biocenosi.dipbsf.uninsubria.it/
ICQ: 78690321
jabber: prea at jabber.org
skype: prea.net
Per favore non mandatemi allegati in formati proprietari
Please do not send attachments in proprietary formats
(Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
Meglio usare formati standaridzzati e documentati
Better use standard open formats
(.odt, .txt, .html, .pdf, .shp, dump SQL)
Standard UNI CEI ISO/IEC 26300:2007
O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - http://www.asciiribbon.org