[GRASS-user] rectifying digital images

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 02:24:39 EST 2008

Hi,

I have a lot of aerial photos I need rectify.  The data came from an
incomplete project intending to acquire geospatial data for landslide
risk assessment.
The project ended prematurely.

Here are the details:
Images were acquired using this method.

Two GPS receivers were used, one attached to the laptop to facilitate
the navigation of the
airplane and the other to the camera to determine the geographic location of the
center of the photographs. The plane flew along the flight lines
indicated in the plan.
The photographs were taken along the flight line using a professional
Kodak N14 digital
SLR camera, which has a resolution of 14 megapixels. The camera was
fastened to a
mount, made from plywood and customized to accommodate the camera and the laptop
computer. The seat next to the pilot was detached to make room for the mount. A
camera door, designed specially for this purpose, replaced the normal Cessna 172
passenger door.

What do I have now:
over 800 photos
GPS point location for each photo
Quickbird image of the whole study area

According to their report:
There is difficulty in mosaicking the photographs. The
original plan was to stitch the photographs together to create a
composite image.
But the tilt in the photographs due to the movement of the aircraft
requires that
certain adjustments be made.

Any ideas on how to resolve this.  As far as I know, you need certain
camera parameters to orthorectify aerial photos
CAMERA NAME:               camera name______
	CAMERA IDENTIFICATION:     identification___
	CALIBRATED FOCAL LENGTH mm.:_________________
	POINT OF SYMMETRY (X)   mm.:_________________
	POINT OF SYMMETRY (Y)   mm.:_________________
	MAXIMUM NUMBER OF FIDUCIALS:_________________

How do I get this?  Is it OK to rectify the imges from the quickbird
satellite data?

cheers,

maning