[GRASS-user] rectifying digital images

Markus Metz markus_metz at gmx.de
Sat Jan 5 07:35:00 EST 2008

Hi Maning,

if I understand you right, the purpose is to obtain a georeferenced
mosaic of the aerial photographs. There are several ways to get to there.
The easiest is to georeference each aerial photograph against your
Quickbird imagery. This is straightforward and well documented in the
GRASS help. Then you mosaic the photographs together, either with the
GRASS script or, if you're not happy with the results of i.image.mosaic,
use r.mapcalc and get inspiration from i.image.mosaic. This should
already give you a fairly good result.

if the camera was tilted against the ground which is apparently the case
with your aerial photographs, steep slopes and large differences in
elevation within an image might cause distortions which are not removed
by simple georectification, unless you use a brute force approach with
the orthorectified Quickbird imagery, i.e. at least 100 control points
per image and the strongest rubbersheeting method available.

Orthorectification is apparently only supported for analogue aerial
photography in GRASS, because you need to know points of symmetry and
the location of fiducial marks. Nowadays orthorectification of aerial
photography taken with a digital camera requires you to know not more
than the CCD resolution, focal length and flying height above ground,
but this applies only to some commercial software packages. It helps to
have a camera calibration data sheet, but you can get away without it.
Anyway, digital cameras are apparently not supported in i.ortho.photo.

I heard of some tools that can add fiducial marks to digital
photographs, but don't know where to get them and how they work, and I
would advise against patching like this.

Not sure if that helps, but good luck,

Markus