[GRASS-user] About importing VMAP into GRASS... (as shapefiles)

nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Jan 11 00:22:09 EST 2008

I know the "from" and "to" syntax for the mv command. But I
am not a command line Master! I'm getting confused with
"sed" command.

Anyway,

yes, I am trying Markus' approach (GRASSNews.vol.3).

Both ways no luck.

I will give it a shot with NOAA maybe. Is it high-res?

Thanks.

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 21:17:04 -0800 (PST)
 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> nikos.alexandris wrote:
> > I still didn't find a way to import coastlines from the
> > VMAP data base.
> >
> > I tried to look after the:
> >
> > mv: missing destination file operand after `.'
> >
> > error message but I can't figure it out.
>
> there is a problem within the script. Probably an unset
> $VARIABLE, or
> bad quoting.
>
> "mv" needs two arguments, a 'from' and a 'to' file. If
> one is a
> $VARIABLE and is unset, it is passed blank to the mv
> command and the mv
> command then complains that it didn't get enough info.
> (Just a guess, I don't know how the '.' part of the error
> fits)
>

> > I don't need necessarily to convert into a shapefile.
> >
> > Anybody that has done it recently? I really need this
> in
> > order to convert it to a raster and use it as a MASK.
>

> Sorry I haven't read earlier in this thread. Did you try
> the method
> given in Markus's article in GRASS Newsletter vol 3?
>

> An alternate coastline can be obtained by the NOAA
> coastline extractor.
> See the v.in.mapgen help page. Then v.type and
> v.centroids to make the
> line into an area. (boundary+centroid = area)
>

> Hamish

> Be a better friend, newshound, and

                        .
         Nikos Alexandris - Ph.D. Candidate
                        .
            Department of Remote Sensing
                       and
            Landscape Information Systems
                     (FeLIS)
                        .
      Faculty of Forestry and Natural Environment
          Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg
                        .
            Tel.  +49 (0) 761 203 3697
            Fax.  +49 (0) 761 203 3701