[GRASS-user] OpenOSX Grass: x11 installed but not found!

backspaces owen at backspaces.net
Fri Jun 20 23:33:23 EDT 2008

I just installed the OpenOSX Grass (non-pro) version.

When I start the application, it complains that there is no X11 installed:
  Missing Apple X11
  This application requires Apple's X11. Please install X11 and try again.
  Would you like to open the Apple X11 page in your web browser?

But X11 *is* installed!  I can start xterm and so on.  Is this just yet
another reason for me to use the "framework" version of the OS X Grass
release for Mac?  I very carefully made sure X11 was installed when I
installed Leopard.  It shows up in the Applications/Utility folder and
responds just fine when I double click on it.  I've also got the Developer
installation, which has X11 libraries.  I mean I'm like totally X11!

So I guess the questions are:
- Is OpenOSX Grass broken?
- Is every thing just fine, other than a spurious error message?
- Is there a secret trick for telling apps that X11 *is* installed?
- Would it be better to use one of the other OSX Grass installations?

Thanks!

   -- Owen