[GRASS-user] importing geotif in grass, transformation parameters

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 10:13:34 EDT 2008

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008, Martina Schaefer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks first for all your fast answers, I'm still a bit lost in GRASS. I'll
> come back to your answers to my other questions later, I have first to work a
> bit more on your suggestions.
>
> For nearly all data that I try to import with r.in.gdal, I get warnings/error
> messages like this:
>
> "A datum name wgs84 (WGS_1984) was specified without transformation
> parameters. Note that the GRASS default for wgs84 is
> towgs84=0.000,0.000,0.000."

That is normal and harmless. Datum transformation parametes are normally
defined in terms of their relationship wih WGS84, so if your datum is
WGS84 itself then it doesn't matter if the parameters are specified or
not: towgs84=0,0,0 is the only possible parameter set.

> or
>
> "WARNING: No projection name! Projection parameters likely to be
>         meaningless.

That is of much more concern. Can you try running
gdalinfo filename.tif
on the file that has the problem, and posting the results to the list here
in the hope that someone can see what is wrong?

Paul