[GRASS-user] .bash_aliases doesn't work in GRASS & Start without g.gui

Philipp Steigenberger userlist at online.de
Tue Mar 4 05:10:58 EST 2008

Hi

First
I noticed that my .bash_aliases is not affected when GRASS starts. I
have a .grass.bashrc which is almost the same as the regular one. I want
to have only one aliases-file therefore I don't want to copy the aliases
in the .grass.bashrc.

in the Init.sh in line 939 the test is

     echo "test -r ~/.alias && . ~/.alias" >> "$bashrc"

but the aliases files name which the bash suggests to use is .bash_aliases

# You may want to put all your additions into a separate file like
# ~/.bash_aliases, instead of adding them here directly.

My solution to get all my aliases is to change the Init.sh every time I
update my svn in line 948 where I insert the following lines:

  if [ -r "$USERHOME/.bash_aliases" ]
     then
         cat "$USERHOME/.bash_aliases" >> "$bashrc"
     fi

Is there another way?

Maybe somebody may change the Init.sh for better acting

Second
I like to start GRASS with TclTk cause its very useful to have the
selection dialog instead of using the long-winded way through grass --text.

But, cause I work most of the time in the shell, every start I first
have to close the g.gui / gis.m - monitors

It may be nice to have an option to start GRASS in a mixture between
Text and GUI.

My personal solution is to  add "echo" in the Init.sh in line 803

     # Check for tcltk interface
     tcltk | gis.m)
	if [ "$osxaqua" ] ; then
	echo	"$GISBASE/scripts/gis.m" | sh &