[GRASS-user] a few suggestions and questions

Philipp Steigenberger userlist at online.de
Tue Mar 4 05:12:54 EST 2008

Craig Leat schrieb:
> Philipp Steigenberger wrote:
>  > Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 09:38:24 +0100
>  > From: Philipp Steigenberger <userlist at online.de>
>  > Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] a few suggestions and questions
>  > To: "Carlos \"Gu?no\" Grohmann" <carlos.grohmann at gmail.com>
>  > Cc: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org
>  > Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann schrieb:
>  >> > Hello all
>  >> >
>  >> > first I'd like to make a few suggestions to enhance (IMO) our
> favorite GIS:
>  >> >
>  >> > - normalize the options in all modules. I noticed that while most
>  >> > commands take "--overwrite", some (r.neighbors) use "-o"
>  > I guess the problem is, that there are to many modules an it my be a
> lot of work to change them. Also "old" users are used to take the right
> option for the particular module. Another problem. Where to start? Some
> users have vers 6.2.3 others 6.3 svn others 6.3 rc5. If you change the
> manuals in the wiki all will be confused a little more, first of all the
> newbies. And finally there are also some parameters to be normalized.
> i.e most times you have >output< for output. but sometimes >out< or
>  >elev< or >elevation<. So where to start and who will do?
>

> Hi
>
> Abbreviated options are optional not mandatory. Please see:
> http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Module_command_line_parser#Command_line_parser
>

> IOW (elevation / elev / e) are all acceptable.
>
> Regards
>
> Craig

Craig,
I know this. It saves a lot of time only to type i.e.

d.v pointmap co=red s=3

instead of

d.vect map=pointsmap solor=red size=3

(note that I use aliases in addition in bash for the most important
commands)

But sometimes you have the parameter "elev" like in v.surf.rst and
sometimes "elevation" like in r.watershed. So if somebody tries to use
"elevation" in v.surf.rst it doesn't work.
I don't care cause I try to shorten when ever I can ;o)

cheers
Philipp