[GRASS-user] loss of bash aliases

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 01:49:30 EST 2008

Dylan:
> > I have the following line in my .bashrc:
> >
> > alias l='ls -lh --color=auto'
> >
> > After I start a GRASS session this alias seems to go away. Is
> > there anyway to respect user customization (i.e. .bashrc)
> > when initializing GRASS?
> > Or is this a user-related error?

GRASS's Init.sh does special tricks with $HOME and $bashrc so you can
save your command history, etc., for each mapset.

Then it tries to do:
  echo "test -r ~/.alias && . ~/.alias" >> "$bashrc"

but at that point "$HOME" is already redefined so the real
/home/you/.alias is not the one it looks for there?
Fix with "s/~/$USERHOME/" ??

(that bit of the code is a mess, I don't like to touch it)
(history file better handled with $HISTFILE ? see g.mapset warning)

Eric:
> What happens if you copy your alias into ~/.grass.bashrc?

yes that works.

FWIW, my .grass.bashrc has:

.. /home/hamish/.alias
export HISTSIZE=3000

# first GRASS instance gets set a low priority (because we can)
NUMGRASSES=`pgrep -c Init.sh`
if [ "$NUMGRASSES" -le 1 ] ; then
   renice +17 -p $$
else
   NICENESS=`echo $NUMGRASSES | awk '{printf("%0.f", 20 / $1)}'`
   renice +$NICENESS -p $$
fi

Hamish