[GRASS-user] Xming as X server for winGRASS?

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 06:29:25 EST 2008

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Luigi Ponti wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there any chance to use the native X Window server Xming
> http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/
>
> for adding d.mon functionality to winGRASS 6.3?

Not at the minute, because the problem is not lack of an X-server but the
fact that the way the Xmon display driver won't work on Windows because
way it communicates using sockets is not available (I can't remember the
exact details). A better course of action might be to try to revive the
w11 driver (--enable-w11 configure option) which is similar but uses
Windows functions instead of sockets. I don't know how near being finished
it is; might be worth looking at.

> I gave it a try with no luck and would like to know if there is any
> background on this (apparently no clues on the web). I am trying to get batch
> display functionality on winGRASS to test it on a regular basis.

There's some discussion if you search the mailing lists for keywords
like w11 and pngdriver. It isn't necessary to have the XDRIVER working for
batch display functionality - you can use the PNG driver (in fact that is
probably easier) and direct rendering on Windows--or on any other
platform. See the list of PNG driver-related environment variables in
http://grass.ibiblio.org/gdp/html_grass63/variables.html#png for some
ideas on how to control it.

Paul