[GRASS-user] Wich file format to "transport" (raster/ vector) datafrom a GRASSdb in to another computer's GRASS db? Why export vector data inshapefile for starspan/ OpenEV?

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Mon Mar 10 14:23:09 EDT 2008

>1.. if one needs to copy some GRASS raster data from his data base in
>another computer's GRASS data base (same coordinate system of course),
>then how? Where do for example the history files go?

See r.pack/r.unpack in the Grass Add-ons. I use these scripts for moving
rasters around from computer to computer:

http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_AddOns#Raster_add-ons

The r.pack script uses a MatLab format file as an intermediary, and is apparently
a decent universal format for storing rasters in.

>I understand (I think) the need to set-up properly a LOCATION and import
>the data. But why isn't there a GRASS portable vector/ raster file
>format?

I think r.in/out.ascii and v.in/out.ascii are designed for this? Not 100%
sure, but check the man pages for these two commands.

>2. the same about vector data

See above.

>3. Is it really necessaty to export in shapefiles when working with
>starspan? If there is "GRASS read-only" support by OGR why is it
>necessary to export?

I can't comment on Starspan; never used it.

>What about OpenEV? If GDAL is built with GRASS support why can't it read
>GRASS rasters?

I've wondered how to do this as well.

~ Eric.