[GRASS-user] Wich file format to "transport" (raster/ vector) datafrom a GRASSdb in to another computer's GRASS db? Why export vector data inshapefile for starspan/ OpenEV?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 07:23:58 EDT 2008

Nikos:
> > 1.. if one needs to copy some GRASS raster data from his data base
> > in another computer's GRASS data base (same coordinate system of
> > course), then how? Where do for example the history files go?

Eric:
> See r.pack/r.unpack in the Grass Add-ons. I use these scripts for
> moving rasters around from computer to computer:
> http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_AddOns#Raster_add-ons
>
> The r.pack script uses a MatLab format file as an intermediary, and
> is apparently a decent universal format for storing rasters in.

In hindsight exporting to another format will always be problematic and
potentially lossy, it would be better to rewrite r.pack by simply
finding the GRASS files and zipping them up, then have r.unpack
distribute them back around.

This script could be quickly adapted:
http://wald.intevation.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=372&group_id=21&atid=205

> > I understand (I think) the need to set-up properly a LOCATION and
> > import the data. But why isn't there a GRASS portable vector/
> > raster file format?

the easiest way to move grass data is to tarball/zip up the location
directory and copy it across. If you want just one or two select raster
maps use g.copy from a temporary mapset, then zip up the location with
just the temporary and PERMANENT mapsets.

it is hoped for GRASS 7 to move raster maps into a per-map directory
structure like the vector maps instead of having them spread their
parts all over the mapset.

> > 2. the same about vector data

vector data is easy, just copy over the data's folder in the
$MAPSET/vector/ directory, and it's database file too. Make sure to
reconnect the database once it arrives at its new home.

Hamish