[GRASS-user] buffer on granular polygon... it fails

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 22:08:24 EDT 2008

> Hamish wrote:
> > v.buffer has some problems,
> >   http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/90
> >
> > It's not a perfect solution but maybe try v.to.rast + r.buffer +
> > r.to.vect ?

Nikos:
> In general I try to avoid rasterising of vectors, do something and
> then vectorise back.

it's not a great solution, but it is perhaps better than having output
with incorrect gaps.

> It's off topic but I have a question: what's
> the deal concerning loss off information/ distortion etc. ? On which
> factors it depends most? Resolution?

resolution + rasterization method.

you can minimize resolution issues by making the resolution as fine as
practicable; see the v.to.rast module help page for information on the
different methods depending on feature type.

Hamish