[GRASS-user] GRASS selected for Season of Usability 2008!

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Mar 13 12:38:18 EDT 2008

On Mar 13, 2008, at 9:00 AM, grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 00:10:56 +0100
> From: Tim Michelsen <timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de>
> Subject: [GRASS-user] GRASS selected for Season of Usability 2008!
> To: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org
> Cc: grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
>
> Dear GRASS users!
>
> GRASS has been selected as one of the projects to be supported by this
> years
> Season of Usability:
> http://season.openusability.org/
>
> This means that we will get a review of the GRASS workflow and GUIs by
> approved and internationally well known usability experts.
> We will soon get in touch with our mentor.
>
> It would be very helpful for us if you could enter you own view of the
> current usability show stoppers and areas of improvement here:
>
> The current usability show-stoppers -
> http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Usability#The_current_usability_show-stoppers
>
> Since I am not a developer nor a everyday user of GRASS I'd like to
> addess especially to:
> - teachers
> - new GRASS users
>
> Please tell us your perceptions!
>
> Thanks in advance & we'll keep you posted.
>
> Kind regards,
> Timmie
>
> P.S. Although I am writing a crosspost I think we should keep the main
> discussion on this thread at the GRASS users list.
> More development related things will be sent to the devel list.
>
> Reference threads:
> - discussion about usablity in GRASS:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.user/22446
> - GRASS in a usability review:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/24871 /
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/24903

Timmie,

Can we make sure to get a usability review for the nearly complete NEW
GUI in wxPython as well as the existing GUI in TclTk? Also, we need to
make sure that this is done on the current SVN trunk version rather
than older versions that may be in circulation but do not reflect the
current direction of the GUI as well.

Michael