[GRASS-user] vrml import to grass

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Mar 19 00:37:55 EDT 2008

Maciej Tomaszczyk wrote:

> i am wonder if is a way to import wrml file in to the GRASS.
> There is v.out.vrml but i cant find any command to import this type of file.
> best

VRML is a general purpose 3D modelling format. The only node type
which has any real relation to GIS is the ElevationGrid type. This is
what v.out.vrml generates.

If you have a VRML file which is essentially a DEM which has been
converted to an ElevationGrid, I suggest extracting the actual
coordinate data using a text editor (or sed) then importing it with
r.in.ascii.

A VRML importer would require a fair amount of effort (it would need a
full VRML parser just to extract ElevationGrid nodes), and I'm
doubtful of its utility, given that any suitable VRML files would
almost invariably have been generated from some other format, and the
original data would probably be far more amenable to importation (i.e.
GRASS probably already supports the format, and may be able to obtain
georeferencing information from it).