[GRASS-user] Obtaining map files

andy geek_show at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Mar 21 06:50:40 EDT 2008

Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:34 PM, andy <geek_show at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello all
>>
>>  I'm wanting to obtain image files with which to start proceeding beyond
>>  the spearfish files that are the default.
>>

> there is a new dataset available: OSGeo Edu dataset, North Carolina
> http://www.grassbook.org/data_menu3rd.php
>

>> Specifically, I'm looking for  images for the UK.
>>

> It's not easy to find free European data. What do you specifically look for?
> Some pointers:
>
> http://openaerialmap.org/
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Geodata_Repository
>
> Best
> Markus

Thanks Markus

I'll follow those links to see what I can come up with. I am looking
particularly for images for SE London, but these do seem quite hard to
locate. I was under the impression the British Ordinance Survey office
had released their data to the public domain since we pay for it in our
taxes, but I could be wrong.

If anything else occurs to you or others on this list, please don't be
shy about letting me know.

Many thanks

Andy