[GRASS-user] Re: Obtaining map files

WolfgangZ wollez at gmx.net
Fri Mar 21 06:54:15 EDT 2008

andy schrieb:
> Markus Neteler wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:34 PM, andy <geek_show at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all
>>>
>>>  I'm wanting to obtain image files with which to start proceeding beyond
>>>  the spearfish files that are the default.
>>>

>> there is a new dataset available: OSGeo Edu dataset, North Carolina
>> http://www.grassbook.org/data_menu3rd.php
>>

>>> Specifically, I'm looking for  images for the UK.
>>>

>> It's not easy to find free European data. What do you specifically look for?
>> Some pointers:
>>
>> http://openaerialmap.org/
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Geodata_Repository
>>
>> Best
>> Markus
>>

> Thanks Markus
>
> I'll follow those links to see what I can come up with. I am looking
> particularly for images for SE London, but these do seem quite hard to
> locate. I was under the impression the British Ordinance Survey office
> had released their data to the public domain since we pay for it in our
> taxes, but I could be wrong.
>
> If anything else occurs to you or others on this list, please don't be
> shy about letting me know.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Andy

I've not tested if these are still online.
Be careful what you download, some of these are many GB big.

regards
Wolfgang

     ecwp://www.earthetc.com/images/uk/EdinburghCastle10cm.ecw
     ecwp://www.earthetc.com/images/uk/Edinburgh_map.ecw
     ecwp://www.earthetc.com/images/uk/Edinburgh1m.ecw
     ecwp://www.earthetc.com/images/glasgow/Glasgow.ecw
     ecwp://www.earthetc.com/images/uk/London.ecw
     ecwp://www.earthetc.com/images/uk/standrews_1999.ecw

ecwp://data.emapsite.com/images4/uk/emapsite/emapsite_panorama_tile_chooser.ecw
     ecwp://data.emapsite.com/images4/uk/emapsite/gm_os_2m_gb.ecw
     ecwp://data.emapsite.com/images4/uk/getmapping/getmapping_2m_gb.ecw
     ecwp://data.emapsite.com/images4/uk/ordnance_survey/esitestreet.ecw
     ecwp://data.emapsite.com/images4/uk/emapsite/emapsite_5km_tiles_dtm.ecw
     ecwp://data.emapsite.com/images4/uk/emapsite/emapsite_20km_tiles.ecw
     ecwp://data.emapsite.com/images4/uk/ordnance_survey/os_250k_gb.ecw
     ecwp://data.emapsite.com/images4/uk/ordnance_survey/os_50k_gb.ecw