[GRASS-user] Change detection in a Vector (polyline) dataset

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Mar 25 05:40:05 EDT 2008

On 19/03/08 04:18, Andrew Schroeder wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Can you tell me if GRASS is able to detect change between two input
> polyline shapefiles?  I have a 5m contour set for two different years at
> a particular mine, and I'm looking for a way to automate detection of
> the yearly pit advances.
>
> Basically, I'm looking for something to subtract file A from file B
> (b-a=change) and output a file showing just the lines that changed
> between the two files.
>
> Thanks for any direction you can offer.

IIUC, this would be a classic example of v.overlay usage, only that
v.overlay does not support two line maps (i.e. not line + line, only
area + point/line/area). I don't really know why this is so.

If your contours are closed you could transform them into areas and then
run v.overlay with operator=not.

Moritz