[GRASS-user] Raster Hole/NODATA filling programs

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed May 14 16:26:02 EDT 2008

On May 14, 2008, at 2:25 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> The r.fillnulls *appears* to scan the entire boundary of a nodata
> area to
> build a point list of boundary values used for spline based
> interpolation.
> I'm concerned this would not work well for situations like contour
> data with
> large nodata areas or for situations where relatively sparse data has
> been applied to a raster and we need to interpolate from that (so
> essentially
> most of the image might be one connected nodata area!).

Yeah, r.fillnulls has problems with large holes.  I used it on the
SRTM data, and large holes get block anomalies, probably because of
the SEGMAX (for v.surf.rst) used by r.fillnulls.  I played with that a
bit in a customized r.fillnulls, but the bigger the SEGMAX the longer
the processing, and it only helped a little.

I didn't pursue any further improvements to fillnulls, though I did
experiment with filling at a coarser resolution, converting to points
and using v.surf.rst with those as an enhancement to a similar process
to r.fillnulls (it gave the full resolution v.surf.rst a little more
interior meat to work from).  But I got distracted by "real" work and
dropped the experiment.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if
you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm
50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy