[GRASS-user] Panning with r.profile or the gis.m profiler

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu May 15 11:23:06 EDT 2008

Craig,

For your pipeline, the better solution is to use the r.profile module that
underlies the interactive profiler.

Set your computational region to match your entire pipeline with g.region.
Then put the xy coordinates of the transect nodes into r.profile, along with
the interval parameter (how often do you want an elevation calcuated). It
will output a text file with the coordinates and elevations for each point
along the transect with the interval you specify.

No need to stitch anything.

Michael

On 5/15/08 5:02 AM, "grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org"
<grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 10:21:03 +0200
> From: Craig Leat <craig at pid.co.za>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] Panning with r.profile or the gis.m profiler
> To: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org
>
> Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> You can pan the display, but not at the same time you are trying to draw a
>> profile line.
>>

> So then the best that can be done is to run multiple transects with
> r.profile while outputting a file with co-ordinates, then stitch them
> together and calculate the chainage from the co-ordinates? I suppose
> calculating the chainage from the co-ordinates is easier than trying to
> ensure the end point of one transect coincides with the start point of
> the next.
>
> Craig
>
> PS. I'm doing some long-sections for a pipe network.

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213