[GRASS-user] Plateau / Flatbed detection

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 20:35:48 EDT 2008

> > Has anybody done or heard off a plateau (flatbed) detection? I'm
> > trying to automatically detect these features (Brazilian chapadas -
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapada ) using SRTM.

Jonathan Greenberg replied:
> Would a basic topographic analysis suffice, e.g. if the
> slope is < 5 degrees = flatbed?

maybe also use one of the imagery clumping/clustering tools to find wide areas of small slope. or r.slope.aspect + r.mapcalc + r.reclass + r.to.vect + v.clean remove small areas + v.to.rast ...

> You can also do topographic feature
> classification
> (http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~jwo/phd/04param.php).

I grass topographic feature classification is a little hidden. use:
  r.param.scale param=feature

Hamish