[GRASS-user] Re: off-topis: bulk downloading of Landsat tiles from GLCF

Ivan Shmakov ivan at theory.asu.ru
Fri May 23 11:49:20 EDT 2008

 >> Not specifically a grass question.  How do I download in bulk a
 >> number of Landsat tiles from GLCF.  for example:
 >> ftp://ftp.glcf.umiacs.umd.edu/glcf/Landsat/WRS2/p114/r052/p114r052_7x20010909.ETM-EarthSat-Orthorectified/
 >> I want to download only the bands 1-5 and 7and the metadata.

 >> I need to do this for 52+ plus Landsat tiles.

	GNU Wget [1] retrieves URLs specified either in the command line
	or in an plain ASCII file, which could easily be created either
	with a simple program (in almost whatever programming language),
	or with a text editor.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/

 > Just read the esdi warning:
 > http://glcf.umiacs.umd.edu/esdi2-help/expert.html "Do not use these
 > layers to automate a bulk download (over 50 scenes) without
 > contacting us first. Violations will result in the ban of your IP
 > address or domain."

 > Maybe ten at a time

	You may consider using the `-w' Wget option then:

--cut: (wget) Download Options--
`-w SECONDS'
`--wait=SECONDS'
     Wait the specified number of seconds between the retrievals.  Use
     of this option is recommended, as it lightens the server load by
     making the requests less frequent.  Instead of in seconds, the
     time can be specified in minutes using the `m' suffix, in hours
     using `h' suffix, or in days using `d' suffix.

     Specifying a large value for this option is useful if the network
     or the destination host is down, so that Wget can wait long enough
     to reasonably expect the network error to be fixed before the
     retry.  The waiting interval specified by this function is
     influenced by `--random-wait', which see.
--cut: (wget) Download Options--

[...]