[GRASS-user] grass wiki problems on osgeo.org

wrobell wrobell at pld-linux.org
Fri May 30 05:42:57 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:17:39AM +0200, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2008/5/30 Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org>:
> > On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 1:09 AM, wrobell <wrobell at pld-linux.org> wrote:
> >> i have two problems with grass wiki hosted on osgeo.org
> >>
> >> 1. cannot upload .tar.gz files. when i am trying to upload
> >>   .tar.gz file, then i am getting the error
> >>
> >>    ".gz" is not a permitted file type. Permitted file types are gif, png,
> >>    jpg, jpeg, , tar.gz.
> >>
> >>   also it would be probably nice to attach zip files to not scary windows
> >>   users with .tar.gz ;) .tar.bz2 could be cool too probably :]
> >
> > Well, how high is the risk to get evil in through zip files?
>
> Currently allowed extensions are 'png', 'gif', 'jpg', 'jpeg'. I am not
> sure if to allow tar.gz/gz/zip.

i would like to attach small dataset with sqlite database to tutorial i am
writing.  .tar.gz file is 120KB. i can find some place to host the file.
but others probably do not have such possibility. and on other side..
it would be nice to have everything in one place :)

speaking about evil.. i mean security :) not sure about that but mediawiki
hopefully won't try to display gz/bz2/zip files, so shall be quite safe.

anyway, if you decide to not allow gz/zip files, then i would like to
notice that upload wiki pages claim the opposite in case of .tar.gz :)

> Maybe to allow uploading pdf would make sense(?).

imho, pdf/ps/eps/svg would be usesful, i.e. to provide nicely scalable and
printable maps in tutorials.. or at least pdf/svg as ps/eps can be
converted without major hassle into pdf.

> >> 2. references does not work as described at
> >>
> >>        http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Footnotes
> >>
> >>   the cite extension is missing
> >>
> >>        http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cite
> >>
> >> is there any chance that above things could be fixed... how can i help?
> >
> > If Martin agrees (he made the Wiki setup) the Extension:Cite would be
> > nice to have...
>
> Cite extension installed,
>
> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:Version

thank you