[GRASS-user] grass wiki problems on osgeo.org

wrobell wrobell at pld-linux.org
Fri May 30 10:42:30 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 04:17:45AM -0700, Hamish wrote:
> wrobell:
> > i would like to attach small dataset with sqlite database
> > to tutorial i am writing.  .tar.gz file is 120KB. i can
> > find some place to host the file.
>
> here is a nice home for that:
>  http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-addons/tutorials
>
> here is how to get access to the addons SVN:
>  http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/HowToContribute

i will take a look :)

> > but others probably do not have such possibility. and on
> > other side..
> > it would be nice to have everything in one place :)
>
> some nice  things about hosting  in the svn  addons repo is  that a)
> after some  years private  websites often  go away  and the  code is
> lost; b) from the beginning all code there is GPL-compatible, so all
> can use it  without worry; c) wide  backups + automatically-parallel
> repo migration

sure :)

> > anyway, if you decide to not allow gz/zip files, then i
> > would like to notice that upload wiki pages claim the opposite
> > in case of .tar.gz :)
>
> I don't follow. does the wiki now say it is ok? (link please, or as)
> it is a wiki,  feel free to go ahead and fix it  yourself or do you)
> mean we should add something to make that clearer? (same           )

yes, upload page says that tar.gz is allowed to upload. also, please
take a look at my first post and quoted error message reported by
mediawiki, which looks like a bug (configuration? mediawiki itself?
i do not know at this stage yet).

to experience above, just click

    http://grass.osgeo.org/grass-wiki/index.php?title=Special:Upload&wpDestFile=Gvl-0.1.tar.gz

> > > Maybe to allow uploading pdf would make sense(?).
> >
> > imho, pdf/ps/eps/svg would be usesful, i.e. to provide nicely
> > scalable and printable maps in tutorials.. or at least pdf/svg
> > as ps/eps can be converted without major hassle into pdf.
>
> and LaTeX sources... I guess the  root question is where to draw the
> line  between  the user's  MediaWiki  help  pages+images, the  devel
> TracWiki  text pages,  the  addons  SVN, and  a  future Drupal  main
> website.

as i said. vector image format is much better than png to print a map.
that's all. nothing about documents, etc.

> you probably  don't want the wiki  to be your main  website, and you
> don't want  your main website to  be a file repository,  and etc etc
> etc. shrug.
>
> anyway that's just rambling. are you  happy with the idea of hosting
> the files  in the addons  tutorial/ dir,  with a "homepage"  for the
> tutorial in the MediaWiki which links to that?

sure. thanks for pointing out.

best regards,

    wrobell <wrobell at pld-linux.org>