[GRASS-user] Tips for setting up an new FOSS-GEO-linux-box

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 12:07:08 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 6:52 PM, Nikos Alexandris
<nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 07:19 -0700, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
>> > Partitions:
>> > Do you keep your geo-data in a separate partition? I suppose yes.
>> Have
>> > you split further your partition based on other criteria, always
>> related
>> > with "working with geospatial data"?
>>
>> I like putting all of my GRASS data on a seperate disk-- so that IO
>> intensive operations on GIS data do not slow my machine to a crawl.
>> Alternatively a scratch disk for the /tmp/ folder might be nice too.
>
> Dylan, could you please explain the "scratch disk"?
>
> Thank you, Nikos

Right- I was thinking about an extra disk used for temporary
operations, such as GRASS temp files, etc. It could very well be the
same disk that GRASS Data is stored on, but separate from the disk
where the operating system resides. In this way I/O-bound operations
on GRASS data would not impair the use of other programs.

Dylan