[GRASS-user] Loosing projection info?

iomeneandrei aborruso at tin.it
Mon Nov 10 09:00:46 EST 2008

Dear all,
I have a location with these default region settings:

projection: 1 (UTM)
zone:       33
datum:      eur50
ellipsoid:  international
north:      4229520
south:      4207440
west:       294320
east:       324920
nsres:      40
ewres:      40
rows:       552
cols:       765
cells:      422280

I have a location inside it  with this raster object:

 |   Type of Map:  raster               Number of Categories: 255
|
 |   Data Type:    FCELL
|
 |   Rows:         552
|
 |   Columns:      765
|
 |   Total Cells:  422280
|
 |        Projection: UTM (zone 33)
|
 |            N:    4229520    S:    4207440   Res:    40
|
 |            E:     324920    W:     294320   Res:    40
|
 |   Range of data:    min = 0.000000  max = 1107.329956

When I export this raster with r.out.gdal input=dem at debug format=GTiff
'output=C:/tif.tif', I have a geotiff file that seems to have lost some
projection related metainfo.

If I apply gdalinfo to this exported tif I have:
[...]
Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
Size is 765, 552
Coordinate System is:
PROJCS["UTM Zone 33, Northern Hemisphere",
    GEOGCS["international",
        DATUM["unknown",
            SPHEROID["unnamed",6378388,297.0000000000014]],
        PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
        UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433]],
    PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],
    PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",0],
    PARAMETER["central_meridian",15],
    PARAMETER["scale_factor",0.9996],
    PARAMETER["false_easting",500000],
    PARAMETER["false_northing",0],
    UNIT["metre",1,
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","9001"]]]
[...]

In Grass I have a defined datum, but it's undefined in the output geotiff.
For the same reason probably I have a wrong epsg code (the right one should
be 23033).

Is it normal, or is there something wrong in my procedure?

I'm using WinGRASS-6.3.0-4.

This is the original location:
http://www.nabble.com/file/p20420463/debug.zip debug.zip

This is the exported geotiff: