[GRASS-user] machine specs

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Nov 11 18:48:44 EST 2008

nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au wrote:
> I am considering purchasing a cheap second-hand laptop to install linux on,
> and also GRASS.
>
> I want to be able to run GRASS on the laptop.
>
> I do not intend to do heavy processing. I only want to demonstrate
> GRASS, show of the various features and prove that it works.
>
> What minimum hardware specifications are recommended for GRASS?
>
> Regards,
> nick

I don't know if there are any minimum specs out there but GRASS runs on
my Pentium Celeron 2.0 with 512 RAM, integrated video card laptop(64mb
shared memory) from 5 years ago. Not zippy and I really didn't use the
GUI much, so I would say try for something better than those specs.

QGIS works well enough to load small shapefiles, import gps and load
grass layers, just takes a minute or two on a 50,000 point layer.

PS: It's running Ubuntu 8.04 with XFCE as the window manager
You might want to use the requirements of Xubuntu as a good way to find
your minimum.

Alex