[GRASS-user] Re: v.in.ascii howto

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 12 20:49:37 EST 2008

Seb:
> >> The page also warns "Note the blank before entering vertex
> >> coordinates".  Is this strictly necessary?

Not anymore, but having that extra space helps for clarity and is what
v.out.ascii writes.

Eric:
> > What version of Grass are you using? I can't this message in the html
> > help in either 6.4 or 7.0svn.
>
> This is in the Debian sid release 6.2.3-2.1.

(so the help page has already had that statement removed)

Eric:
> > Regardless, I've updated the examples to show the full command-line
> > import call. I can import vectors in standard format with or without
> > spaces on each coordinate line;

IMO spaces should be encouraged, but not mandatory.

> > I'll put a note in the docs saying it isn't necessary to pad with
> > spaces.

I would just say nothing at all about it. At most something along the lines
of excess whitespace will be ignored, but then we have to guarantee that.

I would think it would be better to spend the effort to highlight the -n
flag for standard mode without header (ex. 1b).

> > (Aside: does anyone know why spaces were placed on each coordinate
> > line in v.in.ascii example 1a? Cosmetics?)

IIRC it was a requirement in GRASS 5 which was removed for GRASS 6 (much
more importantly y,x was changed to x,y then).

Hamish