[GRASS-user] "Error setting region" on Grass startup

brendon wolff-piggott mytekmail at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 15:31:42 EST 2008

Hi all

I have installed Grass 6.3 on Ubuntu 8.04  from deb
http://les-ejk.cz/ubuntu/ hardy multiverse. Every time I start Grass and
select a location and mapset I get  "error setting region" and "child
process exited abnormally".

>From googling around this seems to have to do with Gdal not being
installed.  So I did "sudo apt-get install gdal-bin", based on
http://www.perrygeo.net/wordpress/?p=119.

I still have the same problem in Grass and no plain gdal executable in
usr/bin (gdalinfo, gdal_translate, gdalwarp etc).

Should I uninstall Grass and reinstall, or do I need another version of
gdal??

Thanks!
 Brendon