[GRASS-user] Re: "Error setting region" on Grass startup (Hamish)

brendon wolff-piggott mytekmail at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 10:27:49 EST 2008

Hi Hamish

I have attached the information asked for below.  The region is pretty much
as I entered it.  It is just a test, so I know the resolution is too low for
real work.  I had some finger trouble with the datum, but it seems to have
defaulted to WGS84, which is right.

I see I have two different versions of libgdal installed.  Should I
uninstall the additional libgdal with "sudo apt-get uninstall ..."?  And
should gdal-bin and libgdal1-dev be uninstalled as well?

Thanks
 Brendon

------------------------------

brendon wolff-piggott wrote:

> > I have installed Grass 6.3 on Ubuntu 8.04  from deb
> > http://les-ejk.cz/ubuntu/ hardy multiverse. Every time I
> > start Grass and select a location and mapset I get  "error setting
> > region" and "child process exited abnormally".
> >
> > >From googling around this seems to have to do with Gdal not being
> > installed.  So I did "sudo apt-get install gdal-bin", based on
> > http://www.perrygeo.net/wordpress/?p=119.
>
> right.
>
> > I still have the same problem in Grass and no plain gdal
> > executable in usr/bin (gdalinfo, gdal_translate, gdalwarp etc).

Just to make this clear - I have all the utilities in brackets

> what does "g.region -p" from the GRASS terminal prompt say?

GRASS 6.3.0 (Geographic_WGS84):/usr/bin > g.region -p
projection: 3 (Latitude-Longitude)
zone:       0
datum:      ** unknown (default: WGS84) **
ellipsoid:  wgs84
north:      22:07:30.108S
south:      34:50:03.012S
west:       16:27:06.804E
east:       32:56:41.928E
nsres:      0:38:07.6452
ewres:      0:49:28.7562
rows:       20
cols:       20
cells:      400

> what does "dpkg -l | grep gdal" say?

GRASS 6.3.0 (Geographic_WGS84):/usr/bin > dpkg -l | grep gdal
ii  gdal-bin
1.5.1-3                                  Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
- Utilit
ii  libgdal1-1.4.0
1.4.4-1ubuntu3                           Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
ii  libgdal1-1.4.0-grass
1.4.4-1                                  GRASS extension for the Geospatial
Data Abst
ii  libgdal1-1.5.0
1.5.1-3                                  Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
ii  libgdal1-dev
1.5.1-3                                  Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
- Develo

> > Should I uninstall Grass and reinstall, or do I need
> > another version of gdal??
>
> You need the version of GDAL that your grass binaries were built with/for.
> you can tell that with ldd, try this from the GRASS terminal prompt:
>  ldd $GISBASE/lib/libgrass_vect.so | grep gdal

GRASS 6.3.0 (Geographic_WGS84):/usr/bin > ldd $GISBASE/lib/libgrass_vect.so
| grep gdal
    libgdal1.4.0.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgdal1.4.0.so.1 (0xb7a10000)