[GRASS-user] Using v.in.ascii to create elevation vector

Kurt Springs ferret_bard at mac.com
Mon Nov 17 16:11:31 EST 2008

Thanks everyone.  What Hamish suggested worked with the v.in.ascii, or
at least got me to the next step.  I am not sure if these are gridded
or sparse.

However, instead of the vector elevation lines, that I was expecting,
I generated a black box, type, thing that vaguely represents the
terrain I am interested in.  So, I used r.in.xyz.  Worked like a
charm.  It generated a 3d model in NVIZ as well.  Is there a way to
generate a 3d raster surface for grass itself, like the ARCGIS TIN
file?  Also,  I have a number of these tiles.  I was going to make
them into the raster maps as individual project Locations, then create
one big project location and import them once they're generated.  Then
I can put all the sites into one map (or one map made up of little
maps.  I remember doing that this way back in the days of 5.0.x.  Is
there an easier way to do it now?

Again thanks you Hamish, José, and Paul.

Kurt