[GRASS-user] Compile grass6_devel with ffmpeg support?

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Sun Nov 23 10:17:04 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 17:04 +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Nikos Alexandris wrote:
>
> > Has anybody compiled recently grass6_devel (aka grass-6.4.svn) with
> > ffmpeg support?
> >
> > It does not work for me. Always complaining about missing "ffmpeg
> > includes" but I am sure they exist on my system
> > (under /usr/include/ffmpeg).
>
> Look at the error messages in config.log.
>
> Note that an error reporting a "missing" header means that it failed
> to compile (more precisely, preprocess) a test program which
> "#include"s that header. This can be caused by factors other than the
> header actually being absent.
>
> It works for me in 7.0 (with ffmpeg-0.4.9_p20070616-r3) and there are
> no differences in the FFMPEG configure checks between 6.4 and 7.0.
>
> However, the FFMPEG API is quite unstable, and we only attempt to
> support the most common version (more precisely, the checks get
> changed when the existing checks no longer work for at least one GRASS
> developer who understands how to fix configure.in).

# after another failure
# the bottom lines from config.log
[...]
configure:10745: checking whether to use FFMPEG
configure:10765: checking for location of FFMPEG includes
configure:10791: checking for avcodec.h
configure:10799: gcc -E  -I/usr/include/ffmpeg/  conftest.c >/dev/null
2>conftest.out
configure:10835: checking for avformat.h
configure:10843: gcc -E  -I/usr/include/ffmpeg/  conftest.c >/dev/null
2>conftest.out
configure:10839:22: error: avformat.h: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 10838 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <avformat.h>

So, there is one specific format which causes trouble. Right?