[GRASS-user] get ESRI polygon shape with v.out.ogr

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 26 21:06:03 EST 2008

christian Brandt wrote:
> I would like to export a vectorized raster theme as a ESRI
> polygon shape from GRASS 6.3.
>
> After vectorization of the raster with r.to.vect I get a
> vector theme with categories. Within this GRASS-layer, it is
> also possible to fill areas.
>
> Hence I run v.out.ogr using the boundary and area option as
> well as the ESRI shape option. At the end of the process,
> GRASS tells me that no categories are written. Visualizing
> the result within another GIS-software, there is just a line
> theme and thus no way to display filled areas.

see the example in the v.out.ogr help page.

in most vector modules features without category are skipped.
areas are a virtual feature type made up of a centroid + a boundary.
in most vector maps boundaries are without category, as centroids hold those.

no idea why type=boundary,area would fail when type=area works.

Hamish