[GRASS-user] Extracting line heights from 3d vectors

Nick Cahill ndcahill at wisc.edu
Fri Nov 28 13:57:12 EST 2008

Hi all,

I have a series of contour vector maps imported from a CAD program
(Microstation). The CAD maps were in 3d, and the 3d information was
successfully imported into GRASS, so the vectors have line heights as
well as length, etc. Now I need to export these into shapefiles. When
I do this, all the other useless CAD data like line color, style,
weight, etc. is exported as attributes in the .dbf file, but line
height is not -- it is not a field in the mySQL database but is part
of the geometry of the line, if I understand what's going on here
correctly. Is there a way to transfer line height into the attribute
table so I can access and export it? Many thanks,

Nick Cahill
Dept. of Art History
UW-Madison