[GRASS-user] gdal, v.in.ogr, Ubuntu intrepid

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 21:50:59 EST 2008

Paolo Craveri wrote:
> Perhaps solved (I hope)!
>
> I created a local repository (eg. /usr/local/mydebs); then I download
> from Debian-Lenny all gdal packages
> (libgdal1-1.5.0-grass_1.5.2-1_i386, gdal-bin_1.5.2-3_i386, etc.etc.).
>
> I updated the repository and my sources.list as explain here:
>
> http://wiki.clug.org.za/wiki/How_do_I_install_a_.deb_file_I_downloaded_without_compromising_dependencies%3F
>
> With synaptic I installed all gdal packages and finally I recompiled
> grass6.4 svn without any errors.
>
> v.in.ogr  works well.
>
> This is not a elegant solution of course and probably there are better
> ways,  but works.

the point to remember is that if you are running binary packages, you must
also run the same versions of binary dependencies as the packager used.
Otherwise things get misaligned etc. Official distro packages take care
to keep this sane, and version numbers are explicitly given. If you use
a package from an unofficial source you must rely on whoever did the
packaging to explicitly give the gdal etc versions in the package
dependency rules. And if you use unofficial gdal packages from one place,
and unofficial grass packages from another, etc, then you really are on
your own.
(by unofficial I mean packages not directly supplied from your distro)

Hamish