[GRASS-user] running grass on a cluster

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Nov 30 15:27:05 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 9:12 PM, Carlos Guâno Grohmann
<carlos.grohmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dears, I am thinking about making my own linux cluster. Any good
> advice on running GRASS in a machine like this?

Carlos,

it depends on what you need to calculate.

GRASS 6: if you can split the calculations into chunks (map pieces or time
   series), then send each map to a node. See
   http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Parallel_GRASS_jobs

GRASS 7: not sure what to come in future, perhaps some kind of
   parallelization in the GRASS libraries? Wouldn't be bad.

I am using GRASS 6.4.svn successfully on clusters with PBS and
Grid engine job schedulers (see Wiki).

Markus