[GRASS-user] examples of Web GIS interaction between citizens and governments?

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Oct 16 12:20:38 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 17:23 +0200, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Many state and local Public Administrations around the world use Open
> Source GIS software to present their geographic data through the
> Internet. Most of those websites, however, are one-way only. The end
> user can navigate through a digital map, zoom, unzoom, select layers
> and so on... but he or she cannot use the system to directly
> _communicate_ geographic-related information to the Public
> Administration which created that website.
>
> I am thinking to any kind of things like
>
> "click on this map wherever you have seen an abusive dumpster/polluted
> springs/ill trees/ whatever, enter a short explanation in the form
> which will pop up and the server will immediately send that comment
> via email to the police station closer to that point and put a link to
> your comment on the map itself"
>
> Do you know of any website of this kind? the reason I'm asking is both
> to write an article on this and to add such examples to a generic
> presentation about "GIS for local public administrations" I have to
> give next month.
>
> Thank you in advance for any input.
>
> Best Regards,
> 		      Marco Fioretti

Dear Marco,

there is something related: EcoTopos [1] (unfortunately for non-Greeks)
in Greek :-)

EcoTopos is an open access, community maintained database which
collects, organizes and links dynamically to googlemaps information
concerning environmental issues for the Greek territory with the aim to
disseminate them in the public. (...check the link [2] to the map)

Mr. Dimitris Zachariadis is the architect of this database. (cc to Mr.
Zachariadis)

I am sending you off-list some small text I have prepared which is
"slightly" related with your idea.

Kind regards, Nikos

[1] http://eco-topos.blogspot.com/

[2] http://tilaphos.googlepages.com/gmap.html?feed=http%3A%2F%
2Feco-topos.blogspot.com%2Ffeeds%2Fposts%2Fdefault%2F-%2FNATURA%202000%
3Falt%3Djson-in-script%26callback%3DshowTopos%26max-results%3D200