[GRASS-user] "Re: Contents of grass-user digest... HOW TO INSTALL GRASS"

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Sun Oct 19 13:53:44 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 00:40 +0700, Van PD Tri wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> I think I can install GRASS already. At the end, I receive a note like:
>
>   │ Operating System Distributor License for Java v1.1 (DLJ)                  ↑
>   │                                                                           ▮
>   │ Operating System Distributor License for Java version 1.1 (DLJ)           ▒
>   │                                                                           ▒
>   │ SUN MICROSYSTEMS, INC. ("SUN") IS WILLING TO LICENSE THE JAVA PLATFORM    ▒
>   │ STANDARD EDITION DEVELOPER KIT ("JDK" - THE "SOFTWARE") TO YOU ONLY UPON  ▒
>   │ THE CONDITION THAT YOU ACCEPT ALL OF THE TERMS CONTAINED IN THIS LICENSE  ▒
>   │ AGREEMENT (THE "AGREEMENT").  PLEASE READ THE AGREEMENT CAREFULLY.  BY    ▒
>   │ INSTALLING, USING, OR DISTRIBUTING THIS SOFTWARE, YOU ACCEPT ALL OF THE   ▒
>   │ TERMS OF THE AGREEMENT.
>
> However, I have no idea where it is installed and how to launch
> GRASS?! Could you please send any help?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tri Van

Hi!

I don't think(=know if) that the "Java" message has anything to do with
GRASS.

(a) You can launch grass from a terminal by typing:
gass -gui

(b) Or you want to add a new menu item (Ubuntu specific: System >
Preferences > Main Menu > New Item  -- then enter "grass -gui" withouth
the qiuotes in the "command" field, give some a name for your new
"launcher" and a description if you like. *** Decide under which Menu
you want/will place the "grass" launcher ***).

You might (...probably) want to read the following thread(s):

http://www.nabble.com/grass-gis-td19636258.html
http://www.nabble.com/grass-gis.-td19636354.html

Kind regards, Nikos