[GRASS-user] Novice Query: Grass63, Cygwin on Windows startup errors, Error setting region (Problem with g.region: child process exited abnormally)

Katie Urey bracket at comcast.net
Tue Sep 2 13:06:47 EDT 2008

Glynn Clements wrote:
> Katie Urey wrote:
>

>>> so: GRASS 6.3.0, but:

>>> 6.1.cvs? How is that possible?
>>>
>> I found an old ref to this in .bashrc.  Commented it out.... started
>> fresh.. Ran grass63.  Saw the same error. (hung splash screen)
>> Looked at GRASS* in my environment and saw a ref to 6.1 cvs again.
>>
>> My hunch is that I'm making a very simple mistake.  Would a re-install
>> be easier than debugging this?
>>

> If the GRASS_VERSION is due to something in .bashrc or similar,
> re-installing won't have any effect.
>
> /etc/profile, /etc/bashrc, /etc/bash.bashrc, ~/.profile,
> ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_login, ~/.alias or ~/.grass.bashrc
> may contain settings which could affect this.
>
> Also, if you have an old version of GRASS installed anywhere, remove
> it.

A reinstall of cygwin and grass63 seemed the best route.

And, now all sorts of grass63 windows open just fine.  My hunch (not
proven) is that I had skipped this step in the install.  It might help
future installers if the source of #3 and #5 steps is clarified.

    For installation of Cygwin, see http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html#toc5.
    These instructions can be used, but at step #3 use
    http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass62/binary/mswindows/ (or a local
    mirror <http://grass.ibiblio.org/mirrors.php>) instead of
    http://geni.ath.cx/grass. Also, in step #5 the version is 6.2.2-1
    instead of 6.0.cvs-1, and there's no grass.bat script.

Now, with spearfish data installed,  there's much to learn.  And, more
documentation to read.

Many thanks to all who answered my questions.

Katie Urey