[GRASS-user] configure: error: *** Could not determine External PROJ.4 version."

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Sep 9 19:45:08 EDT 2008

Laura Toma wrote:

> I am trying to install Grass 6.3 from sources on Mac OSX 10.5 and  I
> get the following error:
>
> "checking External PROJ.4 version... configure: error: *** Could not
> determine External PROJ.4 version."
>
> In the config.log file, I see:

> configure:6893: gcc -o conftest.dSYM -g -O2   -I/opt/proj/include conftest.c  1>&5

> Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do?

As William says, set CFLAGS to something without -g when running
configure. Onc configure has finished, you can use e.g.

	make CFLAGS1='-g -O2'

to override the CFLAGS value passed to configure.

A detailed description of the issue can be found in:

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2008-May/037803.html

This has been fixed in the 6.4/7.0 development versions.