[GRASS-user] <Q>How to add coordinate (x,y) data?

John Stevenson john.stevenson at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Sep 15 04:25:19 EDT 2008

Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Yasuo Shimada wrote:

>>> I want to kriging analysis with R and library(gstat).
>>> I guess, Kiriging (gstat) needs a file including data and
>>> coordinate(x,y)data.
>>>
>> Someone else will have to answer that.
>>

> Both gstat and R work (gstat is also available as R extension).
> Here is a kriging example (or in our book, last chapter):
>
> http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/442
>
> Markus

I've personally found gstat easier to use, as it can directly read and
write GRASS variables and it saves the work of learning another
command-line language (R).  With some tweaking, it is possible to run it
from scripts.  I found the instructions in the GRASS book chapter 10.1
(http://www.grassbook.org/toc3rd.php) to be helpful for this.  If you
are working in a university, you may be able to access this for free.

A feature that confused me for an afternoon is that if you have a vector
and a raster dataset with the same name, gstat assumes that you are
working with the vector data.

Cheers

John