[GRASS-user] Cell limitation for raster maps; Out of memory

JHartert la3063 at fh-weihenstephan.de
Fri Sep 19 07:19:21 EDT 2008

Hello Grass Users!

My question concerns the water modules: r.flow, r.watershed, r.terraflow,...
etc.
But it's also interesting for other modules

The rastermap from which I'm running the analysis modules has the following
r.info:

 |   Type of Map:  raster               Number of Categories: 453
 |
 |   Data Type:    CELL
 |
 |   Rows:         3996
 |
 |   Columns:      6936
 |
 |   Total Cells:  27716256
 |
 |        Projection: Transverse Mercator (zone 0)
 |
 |            N:    5380887    S:    5372895   Res:     2
 |
 |            E:    4514163    W:    4500291   Res:     2
 |
 |   Range of data:    min = 378  max = 453

--> Error: Out of memory

My question is: Is there a generell limitation of total raster cells?
Because only on raster maps with lower resolution and less than 2000x2000
(4mio) cells
the water-modules and other analysis tools work.

I'm using Grass 6.2.2 on Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy) with 2.6.24-19-server Kernel,
so I can use with this Kernel 8GB Memory. Processor: Dual AMD Opteron
Processor 252

Thanks a lot for any advices!
Best regards