[GRASS-user] interesting article on TIN generation

Vincent Bain bain at toraval.fr
Tue Sep 23 04:47:39 EDT 2008

Le mardi 23 septembre 2008 à 01:17 -0700, Hamish a écrit :
> I still look for a nice method to paste together overlapping splines
> cleanly.

Maybe first generating /sufficiently/ overlapping tiles, then adjust
adjacent ones in the middle of the overlap (ok, not very clean)

> IM(V)HO the fact that TINs are used so much to make raster surfaces is
> an artifact kludge from a history of other well known GIS which was
> historically strong with vector data but weak with raster data

Yes, it's hard to ged rid of some old /educational/ reflexes. I agree !
but anyway, TINGRID was very useful.

> If speed is a real limiting factor I'd suggest trying v.surf.idw(2),
> or perhaps r.surf.nnbathy*.

Very useful module if one needs to generate a non-interpolated surface,
fitting exactly a given set of points. Could it become a default command
in Grass ?

> > Perhaps could this code be turned into grass module ? well,
> > it's beyond my skills, but...
>
> I could have sworn there was a TIN module on the wiki addons page, but
> don't see it now.
>
> Maybe it was lurking in the R-interface tutorials or somewhere?
> (The grass wiki as-setup doesn't search for 3 letter words, which is
> a bit of a problem)

Maybe you confuse with the TIN how-to ? using Paraview and Meshlab

http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/HOWTO_create_3D_TIN

> 3c,
> Hamish
>

> [*] Is there any thoughts on moving r.surf.nnbathy into the main
source?
> It requires an external dependency to use, but so do many other
scripts.
> To me it's a valuable addition to the available quiver of
interpolation