[GRASS-user] openGL library name

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Apr 2 01:28:23 EDT 2009

Patton, Eric wrote:

> I think I accidentally allowed my OS to install a proprietary NVIDIA
> driver and as a result, some of my openGL libraries appear to be
> missing.
>
> At any rate, running configure for GRASS 6.5 crashes when it reaches the
> openGL section:
>
> <snip>
> checking for location of OpenGL includes... /usr/include/GL
> checking for GL/gl.h... yes
> checking for GL/glu.h... yes
> checking for location of OpenGL library...
> checking for glBegin in -lGL... no
> checking for glBegin in -lGL... no
> checking for glBegin in -lGL... no
> checking for glBegin in -lGL... no
> configure: error: *** Unable to locate OpenGL library.
>
> What are the names of packages that contain the required libraries?

Package names are distribution-specific, but it's common to use a -dev
or -devel suffix for packages which are only required when compiling.

It's entirely possible that the nVidia OpenGL package doesn't have a
corresponding development package. In which case, you probably need to
make the symlink manually, e.g.:

	ln -s libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/libGL.so

Essentially libGL.so must exist in one of the system library
directories (e.g. /usr/lib) and must point (directly or indirectly) at
the actual OpenGL library (which will normally have a version number
after the ".so").