[GRASS-user] [SOLVED] was Moving GISBASE box2box

Raffaele raffaele.morelli at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 09:01:27 EDT 2009

2009/4/9 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>

> Cassiel wrote:
> > Moving from the old machine on the removable drive and from
> > the latter to the newer machine changed the case of the VAR
> > and WIND file inside the location dirs. What sounds very
> > strange to me is why only those two files plus a MYNAME
> > one...
> Moritz:
> > Did you have other upper-case names which remained upper-case ?
> >
> > Maybe an issue with a fat filesystem on the removable drive ?
>
> Cassiel:
> > Yes, DEFAULT_WIND, PROJ_INFO, PROJ_UNITS remained upper
> > case while (I checked the rest of locations) all wind and
> > var files were converted to lower case.
> >
> > The removable drive is fat32 and file permissions are all
> > 755 on the older linux box...
>
> the above 3 don't fit into DOS's 8.3 filename restriction, so
> all get stored as PROJ_I~1 etc. with the real name stored
> elsewhere. VAR and WIND are less then 8 letters so just get
> stored as normal DOS names, which are case insensitive. If you
> look in the man page for 'mount' I think you will find a few
> options (-o ...) for choosing how to deal with uppercase letters
> while visiting fat-land.
>

> Hamish

Ok, I would have never guess that, as you can see there are no names
containing ~ char looking the output below.

I wonder if some mkfs.vfat option can override this behaviour, clearly I
remember that during the last year I did backup regularly from work to home
without having troubles.

regards

rmorelli at debian:/$ ls -lh /media/AMB-AGF2/mapserver/PERMANENT/
totale 256K
drwxr-xr-x  2 rmorelli root 16K  9 apr 11:24 cats
drwxr-xr-x  2 rmorelli root 16K  9 apr 11:24 cell
drwxr-xr-x  2 rmorelli root 16K  9 apr 11:24 cellhd
drwxr-xr-x  5 rmorelli root 16K  9 apr 11:24 cell_misc
drwxr-xr-x  2 rmorelli root 16K  9 apr 11:24 colr
drwxr-xr-x  2 rmorelli root 16K  2 dic 12:05 dbf
-rwxr-xr-x  1 rmorelli root 350 26 nov  2007 DEFAULT_WIND
drwxr-xr-x  2 rmorelli root 16K  9 apr 11:24 fcell
drwxr-xr-x  2 rmorelli root 16K  5 set  2007 g3dcell
drwxr-xr-x  2 rmorelli root 16K  9 apr 11:24 hist
-rwxr-xr-x  1 rmorelli root  12 19 dic  2006 myname
-rwxr-xr-x  1 rmorelli root 139 19 dic  2006 PROJ_INFO
-rwxr-xr-x  1 rmorelli root  38 19 dic  2006 PROJ_UNITS
-rwxr-xr-x  1 rmorelli root  61 17 mar 14:16 var
drwxr-xr-x 14 rmorelli root 16K  1 apr 15:47 vector
-rwxr-xr-x  1 rmorelli root 321  1 apr 15:39 wind