[GRASS-user] netCDF import via r.in.gdal

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 11 05:39:15 EDT 2009

Luigi wrote:
> I don't seem to be able to import netCDF via r.in.gdal
> in grass-6.4.0RC3 osgeo4w version running on XP sp3.
>
> GRASS 6.4.0RC3 (UTM32):C:\ >r.in.gdal
> input=SRF_1958.AVG.NC
> output=SRF_1958.AVG location=ERA40_SRF
> Warning 1: No UNIDATA NC_GLOBAL:Conventions attribute
> Location <ERA40_SRF> created
> ERROR: Selected band (1) does not exist
>
> Is this something that I should be able to manage to do?

yes

> GRASS complains about bands -- the file includes georeferenced
> daily climate variables. The file opens OK in viewers such as
> Panoply <http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/panoply/>.

what does the output of gdalinfo look like?

you might try to use gdal_translate extract a single band from
the file and convert it into a GeoTiff. Then import the geotiff
into grass. But anything gdal_translate can read r.in.gdal should
be able to read too (with the right options).

see  http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/MODIS#SST_.28Level_3.29

Hamish