[GRASS-user] Multiple to one question

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Apr 14 07:06:28 EDT 2009

On 14/04/09 08:37, Vincent Bain wrote:
> Hello Adam,
>
> maybe another solution in this case would be a set of 2 tables :
> * one linking to the geometry, that is containing nothing but cat
> values,
> * another one, containing a cat column (related to the "geometric"
> table) and different data columns corresponding to your sampling.

I think that if all you want is calculate some means or similar across
dates and then display the results, Vincent's solution is the easiest.

But you could also use layers [1]:

layer 1 = January round of sampling
layer 2 = February round of sampling
etc.

You would have to give each point a category value in each layer (cf
v.category) and then either create separate tables for each period
linking each to one of the layers or at least create some obvious cat
values (i.e. 100s for January, 200s for February, etc) and link on
single table to all the layers, but with different cat values in each layer.

Moritz

[1] See "Vector object categories and attribute management" on
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/vectorintro.html for
a quick introduction