[GRASS-user] Missing v.generalize in Grass 6.23

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 13:10:36 EDT 2009

Hi All,

Got Version 6.4 working last night and started to experiment with
v.generalize.  I'm using it on a group of polygons that represent the
Hawaiian islands and noticed some interesting behavior.  In other systems, I
would expect these features to be treated at "multipolygons", however in
GRASS I see that I have the option of specifying point, line, boundary, or
area.  I'm not exactly sure what the difference between boundary and area
is, but it does seem to make a difference in the v.generalize output which
of them I choose.  Can someone clarify for me how these geometry types
affect the operation v.generalize?

Thanks,

Roger