[GRASS-user] vector to raster: ERROR: G_calloc: unable

Martin Wegmann martin.wegmann at uni-wuerzburg.de
Tue Apr 21 08:05:40 EDT 2009

Hello,

I tried to do v.to.rast with a vector file but receive this error message:

v.to.rast input=in output=out column=A_VAL1 type=area
WARNING: Area without centroid (may be OK for island)
WARNING: Area without centroid (may be OK for island)
WARNING: Area without centroid (may be OK for island)
ERROR: G_calloc: unable to allocate 525123584 * 8 bytes at raster.c:71

to check if there is a problem in the vector file I did it with
v.to.rast input=in output=out use=val

and it works fine.

Looking at the vector file, the possible problem might be that the column
A_VAL1 is DOUBLE PRECISION but has only values from 1-20.

Now I want to change the type from DOUBLE PRECISION to INTEGER but so far
haven't suceeded to find the right command.

Any hints how to solve this problem, e.g. which command might be appropriate
to change the column type?

kind regards, Martin